Trauma Beyond the Trenches: Q&A with Author Aaron Lee Marshall

There’s no better time like the present to connect with people, to share stories and to find strength and hope.  Let me introduce you to Aaron Lee Marshall, a Purple Heart war veteran who served 452 days on Active Duty during Operation Iraqi Freedom II as a Military Police Officer in Baqubah, Iraq. 

Aaron’s book Baqubah: Bones & Blood is a vast collection of recordings, notes, emails, letters, memories and dreams. It is a compelling look at what trauma looks like through the eyes of a modern-day soldier. 

Below is a Q&A that I did with Aaron, talking about his journey before, during and after his time served.

Aaron and  his adorable rescue dog from Louisiana, King Peter


1. What made you enter the military life and as some would say “serve your country”?


I wanted to be a Marine when I was a kid. I even still have a picture in crayon from when I was 5 that says “to be Marine” under a crudely drawn picture of a marine saluting in dress blues. I had asthma though, so to get into any branch, I had to hide that fact which was something I really had to practice at trying to control. When I was finally old enough to join, I did some research into the running requirements of each branch and the marines had a faster run requirement. I needed as much time as possible, in case I had an asthma attack and needed to stop running. I ended up joining the army instead. I also was in college majoring in philosophy when the twin towers came down. That had a profound effect on me.

๐Ÿ’ 

2. We watch heart-breaking tv/movies on the topic of war, where the director will put their own spin on it. Can you think of any shows or films that really encapsulate the true reality of war?

I think Saving Private Ryan is the gold standard but there are so many more now. I don’t watch war movies anymore though so I’m not the best authority on that. From tv and movies, the most real ones are usually the moments that they do get right and remind you of something that happens. It’s the strangest thing. 
๐Ÿ’ 

3. In military, and please correct me if I’m wrong, it is often a necessity to “break” a soldier down at the beginning so they will become fully compliant to their troop leaders. Did you experience or witness any of these tactics?

Absolutely, but there is a lot of wiggle room in what that looks like and what actually works. Love works I can tell you that. The drill instructors that really cared and took the time to show me the smaller details of being a soldier has been one of the things that has always stuck with me. No matter where you go in life, people are going to break down. Sometimes all around you. In the army, it’s just a threshold you have to cross on your own. I joined a military fraternity Phi Beta Upsilon, before I joined the army, so boot camp was honestly a breeze. Being hazed was far worse. 

๐Ÿ’ 

4. After surviving what you went through, tell me some things now in everyday life that brings you joy?

Oh man, where to start! My kids, my wife, Red Bull, autumn in New England, poetry, Ralph Waldo Emerson, music, movies and books. The list is infinitely long now that I’m sober and in long term recovery. I play guitar and sing some days. Other times, I paint. Life is good. There is always something that I’m passionate about to look forward to. 

๐Ÿ’ 

5. Here in Canada, mental health is a topic that still holds some stigma, but we have a lot of great organizations that help support a wide demographic. I know that in the United States things are different especially with the complexity of your healthcare system, but what kind of supports are in place for you now? Also, what changes do you want to see?

Our biggest support in the United States is each other. And by that I mean every veteran of any branch can lean on one another for support and in my experience, it’s the most fulfilling brotherhood that exists. There are so many changes that need to happen. A good start is giving out information and classes to new recruits in boot camp instead of having them be blindsided by the truth after it’s too late.

๐Ÿ’ 

6. Do you have any future book endeavours in mind? If so, what subjects will you be delving into?

I’m constantly working on projects. I am redoing two poetry books with updated editions and more bonus content. I’m still playing guitar everyday and working on music, so maybe a book about music at some point. But right now it’s poetry I’m focusing on and learning Latin. Plutarch didn’t learn how to read and write in Latin until he was 40. I’m 38 ,so that gives me a lot of motivation. He’s one of my hero’s. I also collect old dictionaries Ainsworth, Johnson, Hooper, Worcester, and Webster, of course. I love finding old, cool and interesting words and I’d love to make my own dictionary some day.

๐Ÿ’ 


Thanks so much Aaron for taking time to share a bit more of your history with me and your book. As a PTSD’er myself (though non-war related), sometimes just getting through those tough days make us a hero in our own stories.



While overseas, Marshall earned the Purple Heart for wounds received in battle and the ARCOM with Valor.

๐Ÿ’œYou can find Aaron's book at Barnes & Noble or Lulu
๐Ÿ’œFollow him on Instagram and Facebook



Whether you or a loved one is dealing with a crisis or on-going mental health condition, additional support is available at the following links below:




2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for reaching out to me Melissa. It was an absolute pleasure. Also I should have mentioned Operation ReBoot Outdoors. They are a Veteran nonprofit organization that are out there every day saving lives. They take Veterans, LEOs and Active Duty members FREE OF CHARGE out hunting and fishing with a Maine Guide. I highly recommend every Veteran out there to link up with them or an organization like them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really happy we connected Aaron. Keep on thriving!

    Thanks for sharing that resource too! :)

    ReplyDelete