To All The 'Goyles I Loved Before: A Gargoyle Story

Dimensions: 10"Wx9"Dx10½"H. 3 lbs.

As Will Rogers once said, "I've never met a man I didn't like." Well, the same can be applied to how I feel about gargoyles.

My love of gargoyles started when I was a young girl. Back in my hometown of Toronto, we used to go out as a family to a lovely little restaurant that to me looked like a castle (everything always looks bigger when you're small!). Walking in, I was enthralled by the host who greeted us. He resembled what I believed a modern day vampire would look like; tall, unusually pale, long fingers, bright eyes, a pure calm and elegant demeanor and if you looked closely, pointy canine teeth when smiling.

This man took an immediate liking to me and me to him, although I admit I was slightly scared as I had never encountered someone like this before, only from watching tv shows like The Little Vampire. I have always been curious in life and so while going to the washroom, I noticed a painting of a creature perched up on a window and was so intrigued. I went back to the table and asked my parents to ask the host about the image. He told me it was called a "gargoyle" and he had many painting and statues of them in his home. They were known to ward off evil spirits. After leaving the restaurant with always a handful of colorful jujubes that we were given as a special treat, I went to bed thinking of that painting and wanting to learn more. 

Time passed and every time we'd go to that restaurant, I would take a few minutes to stare at the picture. I had so many questions, but I was really super shy, so I never did.  It was a beautifully and crazy memory. Leaving the city, it was tough to say our goodbyes, knowing that our paths probably wouldn't cross again. 

Fast-forward, we moved out of Toronto to where I've been now for the last 30+ years, Windsor, Ontario. My interests swayed dramatically into looking at gothic architecture from the past and just finding it so awe-inspiring. With my dream to visit Dracula's Castle,  I saw my first gargoyle in-person, walking through a small little antique shop.  It was not for sale, but I knew that my room would be filled with gargoyles and not just one, but a whole family of them. Different looks, sizes, shapes and colours.  

This became a reality.  Aside from the folklore origins of gargoyles I researched and learned about that date back to the early medieval European centuries, I felt and still do feel a deep connection to each one that I buy or is gifted to me. The expression and pose tells its own story and sometimes an immediate name will pop into my head on what I want to name one. I think that is the true beauty of imagination.  

Highly requested, I will be showcasing my collection, introducing you to each gargoyle that I own, so stay tuned to those upcoming blogs, if you are interested in delving a bit deeper. I realize that I'm going backwards, showing you my newest purchase, instead of starting at the beginning with my first gargoyle, but that's how it is.

As 2020 is the year of the pandemic, life has turned upside down and sideways. It's been a challenge to cope with and so I felt the need to seek out a new stone-pet, as I call them.  Do  I believe they are going to ward off evil spirits? Nay...and you won't find me smudging the room either, but that doesn't mean they don't hold a special emotional place in my heart. 

While looking online, I came across Design Toscano out of  Elk Grove Village, Illinois ( a short distance from Chicago).  They have beautifully-crafted gargoyles and other unique pieces to choose from to really delight your indoor or outdoor space. You may be on the website for a while, but well worth the time spent. 

I named this beauty Razvan, which in Romanian means "bringer of good news." 


About this gargoyle:
Wings raised at the ready, Italian artist Marco Paoletti's "Balthazar" stands as a ferocious warrior in entryway, on desktop or in the garden! Cast in quality designer resin, our collectible Toscano exclusive shows off his muscled arms and sinewy form to remind visitors that he's one gargoyle who means business! 
 
Thank you to Design Toscano for this lovely addition to my collection that arrived safely to my doorstep here in Windsor, Ontario, Canada. Excellent customer service and fast shipping. With over 6,000 beautiful products to choose from, you won't be disappointed.

💜Visit them at: https://www.designtoscano.com/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment