Dinner In A Box: PC Chef Meal Kits


Serves 2, time: approx. 25 mins
                                                   
Who is PC Chef?

We’re on a mission to make dinnertime feel effortless. Our subscription-free meal kits simplify the planning and prep with pre-portioned ingredients and step-by-step instructions, so you have more time to eat together more often.

What is included in the box?


  • Ground pork (raw)
  • Mango spears
  • Avocado
  • Roma tomato
  • Diced onion
  • Lime Pickled jalapeño peppers
  • Cilantro Oaxacan-style spice mix (black pepper, onion powder, cinnamon, oregano, smoked paprika, cumin, garlic powder)
  • Mini tortillas
  • *Nutritional info is on the link at the top of the page


                                                    
This meal was really tasty!  I tweaked it of course to our liking.  Immediately discarded the jalapeño peppers (actually they are sitting in a container in my fridge for anyone who wants them!).

Instead of mashing the avocado like a guacamole, I cut it into more chunky pieces and just tossed it into the mango salsa mixture.  I also used a lot less seasoning on the pork because opening up the pack, yikes, a whiff of it and I had a feeling it would be a little too spicy for me - mild eater in the house! I also had my husband look up how to prepare fresh cilantro as I've never made it before. The love it or hate it battle of cilantro is strong in the culinary world, but i'm in the middle ground camp. Also added some pickles on the side.

This is the first time I've made dinner from a meal kit.  It was a cool experience and pretty easy to do. The price of these kits can be a little expensive (this one was $18), but you are paying for the convenience of pre-portioned ingredients and planned out step-by step instructional meals that won't have you slaving away in the kitchen for hours on end. Plus clean up is a snap. 

One thing that PC has mentioned in their FAQ is that they are working towards better environmental practices. I loved seeing the recyclable cardboard box, but opening it up, eek. I was struck immediately by the amount of plastic used for some of the ingredients, like the mango spears, diced onions and the spice pack/cilantro. 

Have you tried any meal kits from PC or elsewhere? If so, drop me a note and tell me. I'm always curious to hear other suggestions.









No comments:

Post a Comment