Larry Crowne Movie Review: I Am Not An Easy A


I’ve been a fan of Tom Hanks for as long as I can remember and have watched almost every film he’s starred in; from the young-at-heart film BIG to his directorial debut of That Thing You Do. I don’t think there are many people who can really say something truly negative about him because he’s just that all-around good and wholesome guy in Hollywood with his feet firmly planted on the ground. Now combined with his co-star, the lovable Julia Roberts, how could this movie be anything but perfect? I couldn’t wait to get home and pop this into my DVD player!


Larry Crowne is the story of a middle-aged man who is at the top of his game, career-wise, at a big-box retail store and believes once again, he is going to be chosen for employee of the month. When he is informed that due to his lack of college education, there is no place for him in the company, panic sets in as his comfortable world is now full of uncertainty. With the advice of his wheelin’ and dealin’ neighbour Lamar (played by the hilarious Cedric the Entertainer), Larry decides to go back to school to get his life back on track. Along the way, he meets a couple of outcast students who decide to transform him into a hip socialite as they see fit. Then there is a very angst-like professor, with an alcohol problem and unfulfilling marriage, named Mercedes Tainot (played by Julia Roberts) who takes a fond interest in Larry.

The movie itself had its moments. I liked some of the characters, including the comic relief from George Takei, Cedric, the stoner classmate saying inappropriate things at random times, and well, Tom Hanks was a gem.

The music soundtrack was great, and included artists like Tom Petty, Smokey Robinson, and yes, the perfect song choice by ELO (Electric Light Orchestra) called Hold on Tight!

The film had substance and a good message, but sadly, for me, there was not an ounce of chemistry between Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts. They seemed to be more like long-lost friends throughout the whole movie and the romantic aspects weren’t very believable. Instead of feeling a little hot around the collar as the inevitable kiss took place, I cringed. I think the angles were horribly off because you could see at times, they were entirely faking. It almost made me want to have Meg Ryan jump into the picture and steal him away, as they always have incredible sparks on-screen!

Overall, the film was okay but not one that I would rent again or consider purchasing. If you’re feeling down and want a film that will completely motivate you to change your life, this most likely won’t be your go-to choice. If you’re simply looking for a few good laughs and some witty dialogue, pick it up and enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. I liked this movie because it really brought out the characters that can be found at a community college, I also thought it was fitting for the times, because we’re in a recession where many people are loosing their jobs. I thought it was clever and inspirational. At the same time I can see where the lack of chemistry was evident. I was relieved when I didn’t even have to leave my house to watch this movie. I rented it from Dishonline.com by the suggestion of a coworker of mine. This was so convenient and saved me a ton of time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments, Diane!

    The place where you rent from looks awesome, however, I am not in the USA.

    Here in Windsor, we go to a great rental place called Family Video. They have a ton of movie choices and some are even 2 for $1. Plus the staff are so friendly that it is a pleasure to support the store.

    ReplyDelete