Take It On The Run: Film Reviews


Hello readers! I've compiled another list of films that I've watched recently that I wanted to share with you.




Despite Tom Cruise’s continuous and cringe-worthy religious affiliation with Scientology, on-screen, there is no doubt that he is still top notch in his acting and Top Gun: Maverick adds even more accolades as we can see all his grueling flight training really paid off for this role.

I was a little worried that Top Gun: Maverick wouldn’t be quite as good, especially since the first one had Tony Scott directing. However, I have to say it was incredible in many ways and director, Joseph Kosinski gets a big applause for his talents.

The aviator flight scenes were mind-blowing. Just so visually stunning and I was really invested in Maverick’s friendship with Goose's son, Rooster, played by Miles Teller and of course, the dynamics with Ice Man, played by Val Kilmer.  There was so much emotion with these characters. 

I do have two criticisms of the movie and I think that just goes back to my dire love of the 1980’s because “Take My Breath Away” by Berlin  took my breath away hearing it in the original Top Gun and always will.  

Going to present day,  Lady Gaga took the seat this time around on the lead single for the soundtrack with her song “Hold My Hand”.  People seemed to literally go “gaga” for this song, and after giving it a listen multiple times, while I can appreciate Lady Gaga’s vocal talents and the essence of the song itself, I didn’t feel the same emotion.

The second issue was the love connection, or rather lack of,  between Tom Cruise as Pete Maverick and his romance with Penny, played by Jennifer Connelly.  It felt bland, almost as if they were acting from two very different places. The idea of having a co-pilot in life requires that desire, the romantic shiver that makes your heart beat a little faster and that spark. This felt like an awkward friendship, trying to convince the audience that they should try and be together because the storyline says so. 

In contrast to this pseudo-romance, in the original Top Gun film, Charlie (Kelly McGillis) who played Maverick’s love interest convinced me that they were the real deal and you could feel the chemistry between her and Cruise on-screen each and every time.  That's my take, it's okay if you feel differently.

 


We all have those moments when we feel invisible in our own lives, maybe unheard, unappreciated, or lost.  Mrs Harris Goes to Paris has a way of renewing hope and although there is ugliness in the world, beauty still shines through when we least expect it to.

Directed by Anthony Fabian, the movie is set in the 1950’s, which I adore, plus the British-ness of the film is something I gravitate towards, so I'm already in love with it. 

The story involves a widowed housekeeper, Ada Harris, played by Lesley Manville, who works for the poshest of the posh. One day while cleaning a client's closet, she falls in love with a couture dress by Christian Dior.  Saving all her pennies and with the encouragement of her best friend Vi (Ellen Thomas), she goes to Paris in search of her perfect Dior dress.

I loved everything about this movie. It was so sentimental and joyful. Even the moments of sadness still had a way of making you feel connected to the story and love Ada just a bit more.  I adored the friendship between Ada and Vi too. Sassy together yet still so genuinely loving to each other through all the pains and sorrows of life. I loved the look of the film and the set designs. There were also a few scenes that had me reminisce of the glorious independent movie gem; Amelie.

Sure it’s a predictable story to an extent, but in no way does she ride off with any type of prince charming on a horse scenario.  Since the characters were so delightful and the movie itself just flowed so nicely with its dialogue and all the subtle reminders of how to be a good human, I think everyone wants Ada to get her dress and just be happy.


  

After watching the trailer of Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers, I was really hesitant about seeing this one. It looked like it could be a train wreck with the animation, but then I figured, why the heck not give it a go. My husband and I watch all sorts of movies and maybe we’ll be surprised.  Well, surprises galore! 

Directed by Akiva Schaffer, this live-action film was hilarious with voice-overs from Andy Samberg, Will Arnett, Kiki Layne, Seth Rogan, and so many more! Delving into a lot of internet meme culture, I can’t count how many times I laughed throughout the whole film. There was no lack of puns either. Throwbacks to my childhood (not going to spoil anything here) really made it fun.  Don’t kid yourself though, there are definitely some mature themes/scenes that may go above the young ones heads, but it really has something for everyone. 


Directed by Tom Gormican, The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent has actor Nicolas Cage playing himself, Nick Cage, as well as his alter-ego, Nicky.  He’s down and out, just like a lot of celebs who fade out of the Hollywood scene. Double d’s hit; depression and drinking. Then comes an opportunity to make $1 million to show up to Javi’s birthday (played by Pedro Pascal) who turns out is a Cage “superfan” – anyone remember their super-fandom and shrine?  Little does he know though, Nick FU!KING CAGE is going to get roped into more than he had bargained for.

Here we get to see so many iconic characters that Nicolas Cage has played in his 40-year span career, so you may want to do a Nicolas Cage movie marathon prior to watching, if you haven’t seen any of his flicks Con Air, Face/ Off, Moonstruck etc... Otherwise, just go all in for the ride.

I also need to say that we need to start a petition to get Nicolas Cage and Pedro Pascal to be in more movies together because their banter on screen together is just priceless. They are really the milk and honey, the toast and jam and the Kraft dinner and ketchup of this film, hands down. I could watch them for hours.

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent is a total must-see and probably one that you want to rent again or even own, so that you can share with your friends, and enjoy the absurdity of it all. 



Just in and had to mention it! 


Directed by Dan Trachtenberg, Prey is an origin story of the first Predator alien to appear on Earth. If you haven't seen any of the Predator franchises, that's ok, you're still going to be blown away by this one on its own merit. I was definitely awe-struck at how well this movie captured such suspense, a great story and held my full attention for some of the most intense battle scenes.  

Naru, played by Amber Midthunder is a perfect fit. She is a ferocious heroine, showing dedication and strength in her role as a Comanche skilled warrior and protector of her tribe.

Although some criticize saying that tossing in a female lead (as opposed to using someone like Arnold Schwarzenegger) was a bad choice, Amber didn't make me doubt her commitment to the role one bit. She held her own, wielding a tomahawk like a pro, and going head-to-head in a believable way with one terrifying alien that was on her radar.






💜Have you seen any of these films?  What were your thoughts? Drop me a note in the comments, or send me an email using my webform on the side and also let me know what you've been watching!

No comments:

Post a Comment