New Lease on Life: Q&A with Happy Little Crowd Productions



In just a short while, Happy Little Crowd Productions has become a well-known name in the Windsor Ontario music scene and Owner, Shawn Vandenberg is on a mission (and clearly succeeding!) to bring the very best in live indie and experimental tunes to our area. He's thriving in an industry that he's absolutely passionate about and I'm excited to share this Q&A with you.


1. How did you get started with Happy Little Crowd Productions and is this a solo operation or do you have a team working with you?

I grew up always wanting to be around music but for various reasons, I denied myself that. I was just past 30 years old, working at RBC, doing loans and investments when I realized that I had to have the convo with myself, “is this really what you want to do for the rest of your life?”.

I started brainstorming different industries that I enjoyed and could get into. I got it down to something in music or fitness. I really didn’t think I could get involved in music at such a late stage in my life (yes 30 is late to just start out in music) so I decided to try fitness. I became a personal trainer which led me to Windsor.

I was always thinking about music though, so I finally started asking coworkers where to go in Windsor to get involved in music. I was pointed to Phog Lounge. That was right around the time The Rondo was opening. Tom had put out a request for anyone to go and help with the “building process” of The Rondo. I didn’t know anyone in town but figured this was the perfect way to get to know people. 

So I volunteered. Eventually that led to me being the janitor, then working the door…then bartending…then being asked if I had any interest in helping book shows. I had never thought about that before, but I gave it some thought and decided to try. I knew nothing, so everything was learning on the fly. 

Eventually, I decided that if booking agents were going to take me more seriously, I should start my own company. So that is how Happy Little Crowd Productions started. I am running it by myself, although, I’ve had a tremendous amount of support and help along the way.

💠

2.  What excites you most about finding new bands to bring to the Windsor-Essex County area?

Honestly, just knowing how excited the fans are and how much it makes their day better. Just seeing how hard bands work, it’s an amazing feeling to give them a chance to play for people and gain new fans.

💠

3.   You come across as a pretty laid-back guy (with a heck of a lot of funky glasses!) who just loves life and all its obscurities.  Is that the vibe you want people to have or were you aiming for something else?

Oh that’s definitely who I am. I have a lot of inner anxiety etc, so I’m not always so even keel haha, but I am definitely known as laid back and easy going. I’ve had an interesting past, and feel like I’ve been given a brand new lease on life by working in music. I don’t want to waste a second.

If you’re looking for some funky glasses yourself, check out The Walkerville Optical on Ottawa Street. It’s a top-notch place. I’ll never go anywhere else now.

💠

4. Tell me something about the music promoter biz that the average person would probably find a little shocking.

People might be surprised when bands have guarantees. So as a promoter, sometimes I have to guarantee a certain amount of money before they play (makes sense when bands are touring). I have to hope I sell enough tickets to cover their cost, as well as the other costs associated with the show (sound, promotion, opening support artists, etc). So, some shows that look like a success when you walk in as the “concert goer” are actually losing money. It’s something I remind myself of when I can choose between sitting on the couch or going to show. They truly need your support.

💠

 5.  I saw that you have a lot of upcoming talent coming to places like Phog Lounge and Meteor, which is awesome.  What makes these venues ideal?

For me, it’s the built-in crowd and vibe they already have and the location. It’s where I first started, and who I first started working with. I just feel connected to them. Plus, Meteor truly has great sound and a big stage.



Make sure to connect with Shawn to see all the exciting artists/bands he has coming to town next and for any business inquiries!  Support local. :) 


Shawn Vandenberg, HLC Productions

💜IG: @happylittlecrowd

💜FB: https://www.facebook.com/happylittlecrowd

💜PH: (289) 686-4101

No comments:

Post a Comment