Fangs For the Memories: Halloween Favourites!


From the vampiric Nosferatu and the blood-lusting Lost Boys from Santa Carla, to the pun-filled Young Frankenstein and gender-bending cult classic like The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Halloween is always full of surprises.  

Back in the day, I remember my first costume going trick or treating was this enormous inflatable plastic neon blue witchy get-up.  I could barely get out the door, let alone up and down the stairs to get candy. However, it was still fun and I came home with enough candy to make any dentist cringe! 

Although I tread carefully with watching films on the paranormal side (Poltergeist gives me shivers and I didn’t sleep for a month after watching The Exorcism of Emily Rose), I have so many other favourites to enjoy. I’m definitely more into campy, cheesy and of course the classics. I don’t mind  many of the Nightmare on Elm Street  series (my orthodontic surgeon looked identical to Robert Englund - true story!) Halloween - Michael Myers series and some creepier films but it just depends on my state of mind. 

I wanted to mention some movies that many have probably seen and then a few others you may want to add to your Halloween watch-list.  I also included my 2 favourite tv series and to keep things on the strange side, I tossed in a made-for-tv adventure from the "Wonderful World of Disney!" that even got its second life!

๐Ÿ’œ My Halloween Favs ๐Ÿ’œ

Corpse Bride – Although everyone raves over Tim Burton’s, Nightmare Before Christmas, which is a great film, I found myself really tuned into the gothic stop-motion animated and romantic tale of Corpse Bride. I loved the characters, the story, and of course the entire soundtrack from Danny Elfman.


Witches of Eastwick –  Power, love/lust and loneliness have a reoccurring theme here. Great cast, especially with the one and only Jack Nicholson wooing the ladies.  Definitely a dark one, but plenty of comedic fun.



Shaun of the Dead – Another gem, also a bit of a rom-zom (yes I said rom-zom) with Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. It’s a zombie apocalypse that’s never been funnier. 


Clue - All the characters bring their own charm to this unforgettable dinner party. It’s a murder mystery of “who-done-it” with some of the best deadpan humour.



Silver Bullet - 80’s horror cheese? This one has it. Corey Haim is an endearing character though, and sure the werewolf was coined as looking more like Smokey Bear with a hangover, but it’s still great. 


My Mom’s a Werewolf  - Another comedy/horror that I watched so many times back in the day that my VHS tape broke. John Saxton is the most handsome yet creepiest in this film. 



Haunted Honeymoon  -  Gene Wilder’s best playing the neurotic, wee hypochondriac groom-to-be who starts suffering from panic attacks after proposing. Shock therapy is on the menu for the cure, but comes at a price. If you thought your family was a bit weird, this eccentric bunch will have you thinking otherwise. 


The Monster Squad –  When some of your favourite classic Universal monsters come together on screen in the 1980’s and try to invade your town to get the elusive amulet to rule the world, you’ll get your buddies together and fight tooth and nail so that doesn’t happen. “Wolfman’s got nards!”


TV

Mr Boogedy/Bride of Boogedy – These were made-for-television short films.  The weirdness factor coming from Disney is pretty much off the charts, but it has a cool nostalgia factor.


Hilarious House of Frightenstein – An incredibly creative, funny, and a little morbid Canadian television series. Billy Van played nine characters and Vincent Price’s eerie narration was the joy of waking up on Saturday mornings to sit in front of the tv.  The Oracle tells me that you must watch this

The Little Vampire – A very special 13 part Canadian-German children's television series that melted my heart about a young boy named Anton, who befriends a family of vampires. Yes you can see the strings of them flying, but they can see in the dark. :)




Clearly there are so many more amazing Halloween films so I will have another fun list up for next year! What are some of your favourites? Leave me a comment and let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment