A Quiet Cabin In The Woods: White Sulphur Springs

It’s always an adventure when you travel. Hotel-living gets tiring after a while, especially when you have to pack and unpack, and wonder if the person in the next room or even above/below you is going to keep you up all night long. Some places don’t even have a fridge, so you have to always eat out. After a few days on the road, I was craving a home-cooked meal.

I know many people like to go camping, but honestly, that is not my cup of tea. I have no enjoyment ‘roughing’ it, eating canned food and warming up by a fire. I don’t like to get eaten alive by mosquitoes and hear weird animal sounds throughout the night. I like nature, but on my own terms. I guess you could call me high-maintenance in this realm because I like a comfy bed, running water and four walls. When my dad told me that we were spending a night in a log cabin, I kind of thought he was having a life crisis or was pulling my leg. He wasn’t, this was for real!

I had my reservations about coming here but was slowly warming up as we drove up to the cabin and a sense of calmness came over me, as the one-lane bridge, designed to slow  down your  pace, has a welcoming essence to it and if you step out of the car, you could hear the gentle sounds of the water. Within moments, you truly feel like you’re “home.”

 The beautiful path to our cabin at White Sulphur Springs.
All photos by: Melissa Arditti

Here was our cabin, the Dogwood.


As you can see inside, we are truly “roughing” it, with a full kitchenette (all energy efficient) complete with an ice making machine and Keurig coffee maker.  Of course, a dishwasher for the dirty dishes and a bbq on the outdoor patio.




As you walk in, there’s a cozy living room with a pull out bed (which I slept on), full cable tv, wifi access, and of course, what’s a cabin without a modern fireplace?



The bedroom area has a more outdoorsy-inspired theme with decorative bedding, matching lamp shades and a completely light wooden-panel bed frame to contrast with the darker floor.


There is also a large bathroom with a separate shower/bath and vanity area.

While you’re visiting, you also get full access to the river if you’re inclined to fish, canoe or just watch the river gently flow amongst the rocks. You can even meditate in the park or enjoy a good book swaying in a hammock.


The Spring is also well-known for its mineral-rich water, which is refreshing and choked full of health benefits, with added calcium and magnesium. Caution though if you have an allergy to sulphur, you can admire the tranquil channels of water, but it is advised not to drink it.

If you’re looking to just get away from it all, White Sulphur Springs is perfect, since it is in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains where nature and beauty intertwine. It provides a relaxing, secluded experience in a luxurious cabin that is only minutes away from the historic Mount Airy downtown district, in which we stopped in “Mayberry” town to enjoy lunch at Barney’s.

If this is what the simple life is, sign me up.

To learn more, visit their website.

No comments:

Post a Comment