Valentine's Day: REEL LOVE

In honour of Valentine's Day, I dedicate this blog post to all the wonderful movies out there!


Reel Love

Well today is a holiday that people truly love or loathe, there is really no in-between. You’re either spreading virtual love all over Facebook or cranking up your stereo and making voodoo dolls of all your ex-lovers, while listening to Boy’s Don’t Cry by The Cure.

Over the years, I’ve had some amazing Valentine’s Day celebrations and others that I’d rather forget. Still, it’s my favourite holiday because I guess you can simply say that I’m in love with love! I’m that girl who you’d say is the hopeful romantic at heart. 

The beauty of film is that no matter what your mood is, there is always a movie to go with your emotion and a character that can somehow relate to your current situation.

So here we go, my diverse list of favourite movies for the following categories (note that these films can go into more than one category, I just put each in the one that I felt was the most appropriate) 

Passionate lust:
  •  9 ½ Weeks
  • Sex, lies and videotape
  • Sliver
  • The Hunger
  • Red Shoe Diaries


First loves:
  • Pretty in Pink
  • The Princess Bride
  • Never Been Kissed
  • 13 Going On 30
  • Clueless
  • Some Kind of Wonderful


Alternative loves:
  • Get Real
  • Chasing Amy
  • Priscilla Queen of the Desert
  • Rocky Horror Picture Show
  • Mannequin


Long-distance/virtual lovers:
  • Sleepless in Seattle
  • You’ve Got Mail
  • The Holiday
  • Must Love Dogs


Wishing they were in love with somebody:
  • The Wedding Singer
  • Amelie
  • Bridget Jones’s Diary
  • Love Actually


Confused about love:
  • Serendipity
  • The Break-Up
  • It’s Complicated
  • Reality Bites
  • Benny and Joon
  • Knocked Up
  • Love Me If You Dare
  • 40 Year Old Virgin
  • All About Steve


Jaded, I-will-make-you-love-me/I-want-to-see-you-suffer-badly-and-take-pictures:
  • Cruel Intentions
  • Fatal Attraction
  • Kill Bill
  • Psycho
  • The Last Seduction


Broken-hearted who have loved and lost:
  • PS I Love You
  • Cashback
  • The Phantom of the Opera
  • Life is Beautiful
  • Bed of Roses
  • High Fidelity
  • Somewhere in Time


Hopefuls who want to find love again:
  • When Harry Met Sally
  • Romancing the Stone
  • Say Anything
  • As Good As It Gets

"I'm not willing to gamble my whole life on someone who's, well, not quite sure. It's like you said. I'm still looking for something more extraordinary than that." - Bridget Jones's Diary

I’ll stop here, but realize that there are countless others to recommend. So to wrap up this Valentine’s Day blog, a few last thoughts:

Know the difference between loving someone and being in love, it will save you a lot of heartache in the long run. 

No comments:

Post a Comment