Diamond Art Painting: Hot Air Balloons

 💎My first experience with Diamond Art Painting.

I remember a few years ago hearing a lot about this crafty hobby, but I never actually pursued it. However, my folks have become quite the Bingo players at their new residence and this was one of the prizes, so they passed along to me.

These teeny tiny resin gems (known as "drills") definitely take a bit of time to get used to especially with the pen and wax. It took the trial and error approach while making sure that each gem stuck to the pen and of course placing it correctly onto the canvas print.

How to do it:

1. Locate the package that has the corresponding number that you want to start with. Each have a different colour.

2. Cut the package with scissors gently. 

3. Carefully pour the gems into the tray. (slow and steady, otherwise you'll be picking them off of the floor!).

4. Peel back the protective plastic sheet only on the section you intend on working on (the canvas is sticky where the gems go, so you don't want to take off the entire plastic wrapping).

5. Dip the penpoint into the wax and then onto one gem (this could take a few attempts if it's not sticking well enough!)

6. Press the coloured gem onto the corresponding number on the canvas.


Once I was able to get a good rhythm going, it was quite relaxing. I turned on some jazzy music and sat at the dining room table.

I needed plenty of breaks because of the repetitive motion. This was a great feeling of accomplishment though after finishing each section of the hot air balloon and the grassy part on the bottom.

Thankfully, I had more than enough diamonds for each number. Initially that was a concern, but it worked out fine.

The one issue of course is the copious amounts of plastic in this kit. I feel like less plastic would be ideal and encourage me to try another kit. Perhaps there are more eco-friendly/sustainable options - I'll have to do more research on this.

It took about 3 days (around 2 hours+ each day) to complete this one. 

Finished!

A fun activity and I'll keep my eye out on any other images that pique my interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment