Alternative Therapies: Lay Your Hands On Me

Before I mention anything about the treatment of Reiki, let me first address that I fully realize that some people have strong convictions that this is all hoopla; not only Reiki but acupuncture and many other types of holistic practices. I do acknowledge that some techniques that are used today can be misrepresentations because of bold and false claims, alongside of the potential to damage a person’s physical and mental state of mind.



Ying-Yang the balance of the Life
Pic of me taken by Ty B Photography

While talking to my dad one day, I asked him, how do I know if any of this stuff works or not? It is not  like taking a pill and having your headache go away or taking  a cough medicine and then stop coughing.  He told me that he had the same question and mentioned that to his acupuncturist.

“How do I know if this is working or not?”

“Do you feel better after your session?”

“Yes I do.”

“Then your question is answered.”

Convincing a person to see the world through his eyes or my eyes would be impossible, just as an explanation that everything he felt or what I’ve experienced is strictly due to the placebo effect (defined as: “the beneficial effect in a patient following a particular treatment that arises from the patient’s expectations concerning the treatment rather than from the treatment itself”) wouldn’t hold very much ground for either one of us in certain circumstances.

Founded by Dr. Mikao Usui, a Buddhist, Reiki originated in Japan and is an art form of healing using gentle touch by one’s hands. The word Reiki is made of two Japanese words – Rei which means “God’s Wisdom or the Higher Power” and Ki which is “life force energy”. So together, Reiki is actually “spiritually guided life force energy.”

Reiki treats the entire person, including the body, emotions, mind and spirit creating many positive effects, which include and not limited to: relaxation, peacefulness, security and well-being. Combined with other medical or therapeutic techniques are said to help in recovery from a variety of illnesses.

Treating me as a ‘whole’ person gave me many options with my treatment program at Beaumont Hospital. The integrated approach that they provide at the Women’s Urology Center sat very well with me because healing for me is not only in the physical sense. I realize that my mind and body need to be in sync again.  So they offer two complimentary sessions of Reiki for their patients to try out and so I took advantage of one appointment this last week.

I will not spoil the intimate and sacred practice by telling you everything that was done during my session by my Reiki practitioner, because if you do decide to try this, I’d like you to experience this as you were meant to. I will mention that she told me that every person is different though, and so for some they do not feel anything and others are the opposite.

From my encounter, I will say that I did feel a plethora of sensations as her hands positioned across different sections of my body and as I felt her light touch on my skin. At certain times, as my eyes were closed, I did see painful memories and felt a lot of intense and tingling feelings rush through my body. When I opened my eyes, I realized we were done. I felt relaxed and rather in a state of sedation or maybe even some kind of deep trance. It was peculiar but also comforting at the same time that I could be so present in the moment, without even realizing it.

What did she feel? My mind was beautiful and energy was flowing freely there, however in one part of my body, there is no energy at all. She would imagine because I feel pain, there would be a lot of energy going on, but there was nothing. My body is holding onto memories which are coined as “body memories” and actually something similar that I was told before by another person.

Everything she said was true and although I realize that it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure me out based on being a patient at a women’s center. However, I felt she was genuine and really committed and focused on the experience that she just shared with me.

Would I do Reiki again? At this time, no. It was too intense for me. Perhaps that’s the point of getting to the “heart of the matter” so to speak, but I’m not ready to tear down all the walls at once. It has to be gradual and maybe for someone else it would be just the right amount. I did feel very calm and relaxed afterwards, and so I think I did receive some benefits.

Reiki is practiced all over the world and I know there are many individuals here in Windsor who offer the service, some don’t just use their hands but crystals, stones and other objects. So whether you try it out here or go over to the States, just go in with an open mind and heart and allow your practitioner to do the rest. Please be advised if any person claims to "cure" you, walk out the door.

I do like some of the philosophies behind Reiki though and so part of this quote resonated with me.  I leave you with these beautiful words that I somewhat try to incorporate into my daily life now and hope you will too.

Just for today
Do not anger
Do not worry and be filled with gratitude
Devote yourself to your work

Be kind to people.
Every morning and evening, join your hands in prayer.
Pray these words to your heart
and chant
these words with your mouth
Usui Mikao  

No comments:

Post a Comment